1. Major News: The Supreme Court ruled that Texas' restrictive abortion law HB2 is unconstitutional.The law, which has been in effect since 2013, led abortion clinics across the state to shut down when they were not able to meet the requirements it laid out, such as ensuring all doctors performing abortions had admitting privileges at a local hospital. (Read More)
2. Must See: This weekend, Simone Biles became the first gymnast in 42 years to win four U.S. National Championships in a row.Her spot on the Olympic team won't be official until she completes the trials next week, but at this point the trials are, as ABC News put it, a "mere formality" after Biles ended this weekend's competition with a score of 125 points. (Read More)
3. World News: Pope Francis advised Catholics to ask forgiveness from gay men and women.Pope Francis explained to the press, "I believe that the church not only should apologize to the person who is gay whom it has offended, but has to apologize to the poor, to exploited women, to children who have been exploited for labor. It has to ask forgiveness for having blessed many weapons." (Read More)
4. ICYMI: Disney's upcoming film Moana is facing criticism over the portrayal of a Polynesian demigod, Maui.Some critics are upset that the animated character, voiced by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, appears to be extremely overweight, suggesting this does not match up with the warrior's physique the demigod was said to have had. (Read More)
5. Talking Points: The Red Cross has apologized for a swim-safety poster that has been criticized for racism.
After a woman put a photo of the poster — which depicts white children as following the rules and children of color as "uncool" rule breakers — on Twitter, the Red Cross issued a statement apologizing for offending anyone. (Read More)