We Tried The Latest K-Beauty Rubber Masks — & They Are Scary Good

When the Dr. Jart+ Lover Rubber Mask collection landed on the desks of the beauty team, we were all equal parts horrified and intrigued. "That looks way too much like the face of a baby!" someone squealed. And it sure does. The cover art is just so...chill-inducing. But, obviously, that didn't stop us from running home to slap it on.
Turns out, the gooey contents housed inside the creepy packaging are a lot more mainstream. These rubber masks are only meant to resemble the mix-it-yourself modeling masks; they actually let you skip the traditional two-step, slightly messy routine of mixing powder with water to create the paste. Instead, you smear on the formula inside the ampoule like a serum, then place the rubber sheet mask that helps it penetrate on top. It feels vaguely similar to using a sheet mask — only a hell of a lot more fun.
Come April, you'll be able to scoop up four different versions of the Dr. Jart+ Lover Rubber Masks at Sephora, each of which target different skin concerns (dryness, lack of elasticity, dullness, and enlarged pores and excess oil). We decided to put three of these colorful, rubbery masks to the test, so click through to check out if they lived up to the hype. One thing is certain: The product makes for some good selfies.
1 of 7
This one's for all you pore-focused people out there. It's loaded with sebum-blocking algae, plus soothing green tea and grape seed extracts, to keep oil in check. So...did it work?

Dr. Jart+ Clear Skin Lover Rubber Mask, $12, available at Sephora in April.
2 of 7
"I’m not a big sheet mask fan, so I was pleasantly surprised to discover this was actually a jelly consistency. As soon as you smear it on, it imparts an instant cooling effect (a welcome thing in my overheated apartment) and it's so comfortable on skin, you almost forget it's there. My favorite part, though, was the satisfying feeling of peeling it off and seeing a super-matte version of my face. Score.

"The only downside in using it is that the center of the mask would not, no matter how hard I tried, stay put on my nose. It’s probably just because the rubber mask was shaped in a way that made it hard to flatten. Still, it was a bummer, considering that's the area with those tiny, hard-to-reach pores that could definitely use a deep clean." — Kelsey Castañon, beauty news editor
3 of 7
Skin looking all kinds of dull after a long winter? This vitamin C-packed mask has grapefruit, ascorbic acid, vitamins A, C, B, and E to help brighten you up in 30 minutes.

Dr. Jart+ Bright Lover Rubber Mask, $12, available at Sephora in April.
4 of 7
"The creepy packaging is 99% of the reason why I wanted to try this mask. The other 1% is that, because I actively avoid sun exposure, my extremely fair skin can start to look a little sickly from time to time — like it’s 1825 and I’m dying of consumption in a hospital in France. Brightening masks are very much in my wheelhouse, and I liked what I saw in the list of ingredients. The serum (if you could call it that) has a bizarre, almost gummy texture, but it smelled nice and felt refreshing, so I went ahead and entered the second phase: the rubber mask. I couldn’t get it to fit quite right, and accidentally tore it around the edges in my struggle.

"Once it was on, it really did help to 'seal in' the treatment so that it didn’t drip. I took about 30 terrifying glamour shots and scared my dog before removing it, so all in all, I had some good, weird fun." — Rachel Krause, beauty writer
5 of 7
If your desk is stocked with face mists, you can't remember the last time you didn't have a flake coming off your nose, and matte is the only texture you know, then this hyaluronic acid-powered mask is for you.

Dr. Jart+ Hydration Lover Rubber Mask, $12, available at Sephora in April.
6 of 7
"I was slightly disappointed to find this mask didn't look like a creepy blue baby, since I think it's time we make the sheet mask freaky again, but maybe next time.

"Anyway, the Jell-O-like stuff inside the ampoule was very slippery, but it was cooling and felt lovely. Then it was time for the rubber portion of the event, which, if you can't tell, I clearly fucked up somehow. One must be very careful when slipping this delicate mask out of the package; I don't even have long, sharp nails and just grabbing it made all these little tears. And where the torn-off chunks from around the eyes went remains a mystery.

"Still, it felt amazing on and I didn't have to worry about serum dripping down my neck or the mask sliding off. When I removed it 30 minutes later, my skin felt super-soft and moisturized, so much so that I skipped my night cream and just used a light serum the morning after." — Alix Tunell, senior beauty editor
7 of 7

More from Skin Care


R29 Original Series