15 spring accessories trends to get your hands on now. By Piera Gelardi & Christene Barberich
If, like us, you've been watching runways lately as much as the stock market, then you know that the spring/summer shows were just as much about accessories as they were about ready-to-wear. And despite the recent economic rumblings (more like armegeddon, actually), designers turned up the volume on runway add-ons, taking sparkle, fringe, color, and embellishment all to new heights. Recession? Not on these runways. But the thing is, plunking your money down on a great bag or pair of platform sandals is probably one of the better investments you could make—not only will any of these artful bags, ankle booties, or chunky bangles bring a little extra joy to your day, they might even make you feel a tad richer than you really are. It's all about perspective, right?
1. Round Sunglasses—Very Great Gatsby or maybe The Cotton Club...simple, quirky, and completely chic.
2. Towering Platforms—Here's to never being tall enough…if you ever wanted to feel like a super-hero, spring will be the time.
3. Busy Bags—The days of minimal bags are OVER. We're loving these excessively tricked out totes.
4. Giant Gems—Prehistoric-sized rocks were the focal point of spring/summer's big, big neck candy.
5. Chain Belts—Another simple swipe of embellishment that makes even a simple outfit seem richer.
6. Cantilevered Heels—Angular lifts have been all the rage lately, regardless of the comfort level.
7. Giant Tassles—One of our favorite accessory trends, giant tassles had a sort of baroque, tom-boyish feel.
8. Big Bangles Galore—Another season, and even more bigger, wider, chunkier bangles to go around.
9. Lacing—Elizabethan and a touch sexy, the season's lacing on the highest shoes is equally high on our list.
10. Minaudiere Purses—Jewelry-box-style cases with hard lines and artful details offered plenty of old-school bling at many a designer's show.
11. Fringed Shoes—A more modest form of accenting, the season's fringe feels urban instead of earthy.
12. Geometric Necklaces—A surprisingly clean switch from so many other turns of fanciful excess, these geometric-cut necklaces were practically minimal in comparison, revealing a mod '60s-infused spin.
13. Thick Ankle Straps—Short skirts are begging to be worn with these super sexy, bondage-style sandals.
14. More is More Necklaces—Whether it's layered coral or tangles of rope and stone, designers just want to keep piling it on.
15. Obi Belts—Designers still can't get enough of showing off the waist, and while loads brought extra-extra-wide '80s-style belts onboard, we were more into the slightly couture Obi-esque wraps.
15 spring accessories trends to get your hands on now.