Michelle Obama's Shortbread Cookies
1 ½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp Amaretto (almond liqueur)
1 tsp each orange and lemon zest
3 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
¼ tsp salt
1 beaten egg white
Halloween-themed icing colors
1. Heat oven to 325°F. Line a 17 x 12 x 1-inch baking pan with nonstick foil. In large bowl, cream together butter and 1 ½ cups of the sugar.
2. Slowly add egg yolks, and beat well until smooth. Beat in Amaretto and zest.
3. Stir in flour and salt until combined.
4. Spread dough evenly into prepared pan, flattening as smoothly as possible.
5. Brush top of dough with egg white and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
6. Bake at 325°F for 25 minutes or until brown, turn off oven and allow cookies to sit in oven (with door ajar) for 15 minutes. Use cookie cutters to cut into Halloween shapes while the cookies are still a bit warm.
7. Decorate with icing!