You’ve got your spring essentials lined up in your closet, but if your spring hair falls flat, it can really put a damper on your whole look. So, instead of hemming and hawing over a bad hair day, we’ve asked The Andy LeCompte Salon's
—who's worked on haute hairstyles for every runway from Alexander McQueen to Christian Dior —to answer our most pressing hair questions and dish on tips, including how to wear long hair, how to grow out shorter locks, and the two easiest updos for any warm-weather occasion.
JA: “I'm a huge fan of braids. This braided updo was shown at PFW and is really easy to do. Its great for spring and goes great with a hippy look. Here’s how to get the look:
1. Start by prepping straight hair with a texture spray or wavy/curly hair with a smoothing cream to help fight fly-aways.
2.Part the hair in half and French braid both sides and secure ends with a small rubber band. Take the ends and pin up on the opposite side using bobby pins.
"I also still love the simplicity and sexy top bun—whether it’s messy or more pulled-back, it’s a great option for any L.A. lady. Here’s how I achieve the perfect updo with my own clients:
1. Prep ends with mousse or beach spray to make them messy.
2. Flip head upside down and use your fingers to make a high ponytail at the crown of your head.
3. Tease the ends with a comb or brush and twist hair into a loose bun.
4. Secure hair using 5-10 large French hair pins, which you can find at Wilshire Beauty in L.A. or any Ricky’s in NYC."
All photos, courtesy of Jen Atkin.