A Narciso Rodriguez Cosmetics Line? We Have Our Fingers Crossed

paginated narciscoPhoto: Courtesy of Nordstrom.
We don't usually get giddy over press releases announcing corporate joint ventures, but a statement today from Beauté Prestige International saying that they are entering one with Narciso Rodriguez has us all in a hopeful tizzy. Why, you may ask? Because there's a glimmer of a chance that it means the designer is launching his own cosmetics line. WE KNOW.
Buried under the legalese that Rodriguez will own 70% of the venture and BPI the other 30%, was this little nugget: "The joint venture...will house the Narciso Rodriguez trademark in class 3, fragrance and cosmetics." BPI has owned the licensing for Rodriguez's fragrance business for years, but this is the first mention of a cosmetics trademark that we've heard of.
We asked the designer in a previous interview if he planned to move into color cosmetics, and he was predictably non-committal about any such plans. But, this announcement leads us to believe that not only has the designer thought about a cosmetics line, he's thought about it enough to take out a trademark.
It's a smart move on Rodriguez's part, especially in today's market when it seems like the natural progression for many designers is to launch a makeup line. After all, we've recently seen Tory Burch, Michael Kors, and Marc Jacobs move into color cosmetics with great success. Could Rodriguez be far behind? With best-selling fragrances such as For Her under his belt, it seems like a best next step.
We're fans of the designer's chic designs and if he wants to cast that notorious attention to detail into our arena, we'd be all for it. Plus, can you imagine the packaging? Talk about inspiring envy if you pulled that compact out to fix your lipstick. Fingers crossed, folks. Fingers crossed.

More from Makeup

R29 Original Series