1 dozen live East Coast oysters (Be sure to select a meaty variety; Wellfleet and Island Creeks are prime.)
1 stick unsalted butter softened at room temperature
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
Juice of ½ lemon
1 tsp lemon zest
½ tsp salt
¼ cup parsley leafs, minced
¼ cup chives, minced
Herb Butter Instructions:
1. In the base of a food processor, blend the butter, parsley, and chives, until the butter and herbs come together and the butter turns a light green.
2. Add the lemon juice, salt, and garlic and pulse just to incorporate.
3. Transfer butter to a piece of wax paper and roll up tight to the size of a stick of butter.
4. Refrigerate for about three hours until the butter has completely set, then cut into 12 equal pieces and reserve in the refrigerator until ready to use.
1. Line a pan with a few layers of kitchen towels to nestle the oysters in once they have been shucked to keep them upright and their juices from spilling.
2. Shuck oysters carefully, remove any small pieces of shell and set upright on the pan as described above.
3. Place one piece of butter underneath each oyster. Grill over high heat until the butter melts and gently warms the oyster through, about three to four minutes.
4. Serve with warm bread and fresh lemons.