Just a few more weeks and we'll be turning the calendar on another summer. And given it's been way too hot and humid to even think about slipping our gams into a pair of jeans, we're counting the days until we can give in to our best new blues. We've got our eye on seven fall denim trends that will be giving us a fresh new perspective on blue jeans. But really, each of these "new" cuts is actually a classic that's been recast in a new light. From seriously pigmented skinny jeans to a '50s-chic pedal-pusher, find out which cut and style is shaping up to be your new-blue go-to.
1. Paneled Denim—Evolving from last season's slashes and cut-outs, this fall's paneling styles are giving off a sort of western-meets-modernist vibe.
Above, from left: Marc by Marc Jacobs Patchwork Skinny Jeans, $228, available at Shopbop; Oak Black Leather-Paneled Jeans, $264, available at Oak; Selected Femme Paneled Jeans, $117.95, available at ASOS; Acne Velvet Patch Jeans, $320, available at Acne Studios.
2. Cropped '50s Style Jeans—In slim straight cuts, dark washes, and with zippered ankles, the new mid-century pedal-pusher jean is pretty much what Betty Draper wanted to wear but never could.
Above, from left: Isabel Marant fall 2010 runway, photo via Isabel Marant; Isabel Marant fall 2010 campaign photo; BDBG Cigarette Jeans, $54, available at Urban Outfitters; MiH Paris Jeans, $228, available at ASOS; J. Crew Ankle Stretch Toothpick Jeans, $125, available at J. Crew.
3. Graffiti Print Denim—The '80s acid wash trend grew up and subsequently got super hot with artful graphic patterns we seriously cannot get enough of.
Above, from left: Proenza Schouler x J. Brand Graffiti Jeans, $550, available later this month at Proenza Schouler; Proenza Schouler fall 2010 runway look, via Proenza Schouler; Tory Burch Super Skinny Printed Jeans, $225 each, available at Tory Burch; Diesel Black Gold Patchwork Jeans, $650, available at Diesel 5th Avenue.
4. Skinny Cargo Jeans—We realized a few years ago that classic boyfriend cargos are just not flattering. Hence, the new skinny cargo brings utility and femininity together all in one sleek package.
Above, from left: Rag & Bone Liverpool Jeans, $290, available at La Garçonne; Current/Elliott Skinny Cargo Jeans, $250, available at Net-A-Porter; Free People Skinny Military Jeans, $98, available at Free People; Paige Premium Denim Denim Cargo Jeans, $169, available at Revolve Clothing.
5. The Straight Slouch Jean—Part ex-boyfriend jean, part mom jean, the new straight slouchy style is perfect for all you ladies who want a slightly more tailored pair of blues that still feel like you've had them your whole life.
Above, from left: Madewell Skinny Boyfriend Jeans, $98.50, available at Madewell; See by Chloé Slung-Loose Jeans, $320, available at La Garçonne; Levi's Boyfriend Skinny Jean, $68, available at Urban Outfitters; A.P.C. Pioneer Jeans, $310, available at A.P.C.
6. Denim In Saturated Fall Colors—Colored jeans come and go every season, but this fall we've got a serious crush on all the rich, autumnal shades of velvety eggplant, deep olive, and antique mustard gold.
Above, from left: Notify Cropped Velvet Jeans, $250, available at Net-A-Porter; A.P.C. Petit Standard Jeans, $195, available for pre-order at A.P.C.; Burberry Kensington Overprint Jeans, $295, available at Burberry; Superfine Jeannie Low-Rise Cropped Jeans, $290, available at Net-A-Porter.
7. Revamped '70s Style Jeans—Let's just say when the high-waist returned to the denim world...the R29 office rejoiced. And this fall, we're happy to see even more streamlined '70s-inspired styles that range from crisp trouser cuts to a more modified boot-cut.
Above, from left: Banana Republic Dark Wash Boot-Cut Jeans, $59.50, available at Banana Republic; Balmain fall 2010 runway look, via Balmain; Gap 1969 Sexy Boot Jeans, $59.50, available at Gap.