In the living room, Taylor wears a Jamison tank, Phi leggings, and Barbara Bui shorts. Enlarge Image
A flash of red, the jangle of bracelets, and a flurry of blinding camera flashes later, and you've just experienced another run-in with Taylor Tomasi-Hill . The Marie Claire editor is creating a mini sensation in the blogosphere, and her street style snaps single-handedly made Gap puffer vests and delicate lace skirts the must-have items last season. Of course, we were more than psyched when Taylor opened the doors to her West Village apartment so we could gush over her equally chic pad filled with covetable goodies—fashion-related and otherwise. Read our Q&A and have a peek at our gorgeous pics below, which might reveal some secrets to looking like a bona-fide fashion goddess.
Outside in the West Village wearing Norma Kamali cat-eye glasses. Enlarge Image
Describe your style:
"I'm kind of a clothing chameleon. My style is something that's always evolving."
In the doorway to the living room wearing Prada shorts and Alex Wang shoes; in the bedroom wearing Pendleton x Opening Ceremony skirt, a Sportmax sweater, and Organic by John Patrick leggings. Enlarge Image
What are your five key wardrobe pieces, things you wear constantly?
1. "Burberry trench coats, a great classic staple for fall or spring."
2. "Madewell destroyed boyfriend jeans, I dress them up with my YSL heels for the office, or down with sneakers for traveling."
3. "Punkrose leopard print sneakers, my go-to for days when my feet can't take anything over .5 inches."
4. "Chanel bag, I just got a large 2.55 after years of lusting after it. This one is the perfect carryall. My other tiny Chanel bags were always exploding with all the stuff I would try to pack in them."
5. "My Rick Owens leather jacket, I can mix it with anything for an edgier effect. They are so expensive, but I stay on their radar and email list to make sure I'm always there for the sales."
A mix of bracelets from Fenton, Chanel, and Alex and Ani in a decoupage dish. Enlarge Image
Do you find anyone particularly inspiring, living or dead, from a fashion/style perspective?
"Sarah Rutson. She has an incredible taste level and innate way of putting herself together. She is always the perfect blend of chic and cool and I love the effortlessness of her look."
In her bedroom, Taylor wears an Ann Demeuelemeester T-shirt and Madewell jeans. Enlarge Image
Do you have any particular dressing philosophies or strategies?
"I try to stay true to myself as much as possible. I love to mix and match pieces from stores like J.Crew and Topshop with my runway favorites like Proenza Schouler, Ann Demeulemeester, and Phillip Lim. Also being comfortable is a huge part of getting dressed, because I spend a ton of time running around the city from appointments, to meetings, and in and out of the office. Anything too tight, short, or high just doesn't work with my lifestyle. I also feel like I have to be practical. I go to Fashion Week in every city and packing for a 27-day marathon can be pretty challenging. Basics save my life!"
- 1 of 3