We've got the 411 on what Chicago ladies are looking for when it comes to event hair. Top salon Maxine has a client list that looks like the front row of a Fashion Week show, but the main stars are all of us gals looking to gussy up for a night on the town. Stylist Anna Jackson talks fall trends and what it takes to be the belle of the ball — even from home!
What's the latest style that women are seeking for events?
"I've noticed that most women are going toward ‘down-dos.’ They want their hair to look shiny and healthy — big and bouncy with lots of volume. Ponytails and loose buns are hot — very '70s/'80s! The key is loose hair, or even just taking a couple sections in the bang area and pulling them back with some loose curls.
What’s an easy, style-at-home look that women can do on their own with little fuss?
"Believe it or not, a good, home blowout! Even in a pinch, a quick 'rough' blow-dry with the right products and a hot professional curling iron with an adjustable heat setting used on random large sections will give a finished look. Follow these steps:"
1. Start by blow-drying the hair with your hands until it is 90% dry.
2. Section the hair off above the ears all the way around the head and clip the top up.
3. Take a big round brush and blow-dry the bottom first and then blow-dry the top.
4. After the head is dry, take a large curling iron, and without opening up the barrel, just wrap random sections around the outside of the barrel to smooth and make the wave last longer.
5. A good hair spray is key; don't be afraid to use a lot of hair spray, just be sure you have one in flexible hold. Even in a pinch, a quick “rough" blow-dry with the right products and a hot professional curling iron with an adjustable heat setting used on random large sections will give a finished look.
What products do you recommend women purchase to achieve a great, at-home blowout?
"Two of the most universal products that I love for the blow-dry look are a volumizing spray and a smoothing serum. Kerastase Volumactive and Elixir Ultime are two products that will work in almost anyone’s hair. However, consult your stylist before using them to find out exactly how much to use and what parts of the hair to apply them to."
What celeb photos and magazine cutouts are clients trying to emulate?
"Clients always bring in pictures of Blake Lively, Kate Hudson, Kim Kardashian, and Rachel Bilson. Reese Witherspoon is a favorite of mine; her hair always looks effortless, and JLo’s hair is always very beautiful and elegant without being too done up. I always tell my clients that most celebrities have some sort of extension. However, clip-in extensions are also currently a great solution for achieving the look! They are cheaper than semi-permanent hair extensions and can make a simple blow-dry look amazing. They give lots of drama and thickness to the ends of the hair."
Are there any accessories you often use or suggest for event hair looks?
"I love suggesting a colorful or gem-encrusted headband or scarf to add to the hairdo; it makes it look a little more special. Also, a couple bobby pins in the hair make it look a bit edgier. If you have blonde hair, use black pins and vice versa, but, clip-in hair extensions are the best accessory a girl can have!"
Photo: Courtesy of Nasty Gal