The designing duo talks about their new family-bred line and getting dressed Miller-style. By Christene Barberich
Since her emergence on film less than a decade ago, actress Sienna Miller has become noted as much for her brazen approach to dressing up as she is for her acting. Naturally, a fashion line wasn't too far off, especially with the singular design skills offered by sister and former McQueen prodigy, Savannah.
With just two collections behind them, the pair's line Twenty8twelve has already formed a signature look and spirit: playful, polished, sharp, and a little edgy. Channeling their complementary aesthetics into each tunic-dress, slim button-up jean, and sexy trench, the line has become a clear expression of the co-designers' own personal style principles, which they agree are mutually "individual, detailed, and considered."
Here, Savannah and Sienna talk about their new line as well as a few of their own personal style credos…
When did Twenty8twelve first come to fruition? Were you planning it for a long time?
Both: "We began planning it in 2005. Our first collection was for autumn/winter 2007 as we didn't start properly working on design until June 2006."
Twenty8Twelve spring/summer 2008 collection
How much do the two of you draw from your own personal style to create the collections and individual pieces?
Sienna: "It's difficult not to draw from your own personal taste. A lot of the influences in the collection are taken from artists, writers, people, and eras we love and admire. At the same time, we do try to not only think of ourselves, and create a collection that [offers] different pieces that will appeal to many girls."
Twenty8Twelve spring/summer 2008 collection
Tell us about some of the influences as you were first creating the line…
Both: "We were initially inspired by Dickensian London, Bill Sykes in a back alley, and all the attention to detail that that era carried. We fused this with our love of poetry and literature particularly Jack Kerouac and the Beat generation for there attitude…Patti Smith and her androgynous aesthetic were also very inspiring for us in terms of setting the tone."
What were some main details or aspects of the line that were absolutely important to you?
Both: "Attention to detail is very important to both of us—that's what we love about vintage clothing. Everything is considered down to the last stitch, and we really wanted to bring that back to modern clothing."
Tell us the five things you consider to be essentials to your personal style…
From left: Balenciaga bomber jacket, Twenty8Twelve Edie jeans, Twenty8Twelve Timmy jacket.
1. Balenciaga bomber jacket. "Because it was a timeless investment and it pulls any outfit together in the winter."
2. A great pair of jeans. "We have a pair called the Edie that are skinny but not so tight that you can't move, and they come in a dark indigo wash so they're really flattering…I wear them with a loose silk blouse and a tailored jacket."
3. A tailored jacket. "We have one called the Timmy that's cropped and gorgeous because the proportion is a bit unusual, which makes it look quirky."
From left: Twenty8Twelve Timmy Jacket, Twenty8Twelve Raven Jacket, Philippa Holland bracelet.
4. A tuxedo. "I love our raven jacket because the length is long and forgiving. I wear it with tailored trousers for evening with a killer pair of heels."
5. Philippa Holland jewelry. "She is a great friend of mine and her jewelery makes me feel nostalgic and magical."
From left: Burberry black studded sandals, Twenty8twelve Zipped Bolen jeans, quilted patent Chanel bag.
1. Burberry black studded sandals. "They are killer with dresses or jeans, and I love that Burberry's accessories get better with every season."
2. Twenty8twelve's Zipped Bolen jeans. "I was told it would be impossible to make them, but I insisted and am thrilled with the outcome. Everytime I see them, I am reminded of the journey with Savannah through designing our very first collection!"
3. Quilted patent Chanel bag. "A timeless classic that I wear day and night. It's the bigger version of the classic, and people continually comment on it."
From left: Rag & Bone fall/winter 2007 collection vest, two Twenty8Twelve fall/winter 2007 looks.
4. A great vest in every color. "I wear vests constantly with jeans and a short jacket. They are easy to throw on and always look sexy. I love our Twenty8twelve [designs] as the shape is perfect and the fabric is beautifully soft."
5. A hat. "I love hats of every shape—trilbys, top hats, fedoras. They finish a look perfectly and are great for bad hair days."
The designing duo talks about their new family-bred line and getting dressed Miller-style.