Calas (New Orleans Rice Fritters)
Makes 8 fritters
1/3 cup all-purpose white flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cooked long grain or short grain white rice
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Peanut oil for frying
Powdered sugar for dusting
1. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
2. Add the egg, rice, and vanilla, and stir until well combined.
3. Heat a cast iron or enameled cast iron pot or skillet with 1 to 2 inches of oil.
4. When the oil reaches 360ºF, or a wooden chopstick dipped in the oil bubbles steadily, dip a tablespoon into the oil. (Wear mitts to protect yourself from spatters.) Use the oiled tablespoon to scoop out a spoonful of the batter and carefully slide the batter into the oil. Repeat until all the batter is used.
5. Fry the fritters for 2 minutes, flipping them over after about a minute with a spoon so they cook evenly. Scoop them out of the oil using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. Serve warm.