Shaved Carrot and Bean Sprout Salad
Serves: 4 to 6
1/4 cup Vietnamese fish sauce
1/2 cup Sriracha
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup rice-wine vinegar
1 clove garlic
1 cup canola oil
1 lb rainbow baby carrots peeled and de-stemmed
1/2 lb mint, sliced
1/2 lb basil, sliced
1/2 lb scallion, sliced
1 lb bean sprouts
1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
1/2 lb roasted and salted peanuts
1/2 lb cilantro, picked
1. In a blender, add the fish sauce, Sriracha, Dijon mustard, rice-wine vinegar and garlic and blend until well mixed.
2. Keep the blender on a medium speed and drizzle in the oil until the dressing becomes smooth and emulsified.
3. Using a mandolin on a medium setting, shave the baby carrots into thin slices about 1/8-inch thick or less.
4. In a mixing bowl, toss the carrots, bean sprouts, tomatoes, scallions, mint and basil in the dressing until well coated.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the salad to a plate and sprinkle with the peanuts and picked cilantro.
Roasted Pear with Fennel and Maple-Mustard Vinaigrette
Serves: 4 to 6
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 cups maple syrup
1 cup olive oil
6 Bosch pears
1 tbsp black pepper
2 whole bulbs of fennel
2 pieces Belgian Endive, cleaned of the outer greener leaves
1 cup of candied walnuts
1/2 lb ricotta salata
1/2 lb baby arugula
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
2. To make the vinaigrette, add the apple cider vinegar, mustard, and one cup maple syrup to a blender and mix until creamy.
3. Drizzle in the olive oil and blend until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Cut the pears into sixths and remove all of the seeds. Toss with remaining maple syrup and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
7. Shave the fennel bulbs on a mandolin fitted with a medium setting and set aside.
8. Slice the endive into 1/4-inch thick slices and separate with your fingers.
9. Mix the endive, pears, and fennel in a bowl and dress with the vinaigrette. Transfer to a plate and top with candied walnuts and baby arugula, and shave ricotta salata over the top.