Above, from left: Wolford Lyon String bodysuit, $370, available at Net-A-Porter; UO Raw Crystal Studs, $19.99, available at Urban Outfitters; Miu Miu Suede Platform Pumps, $560, available at Net-A-Porter; Theory Aislinn Motivate Jacket, $196.90, available at Nordstrom.
1. Wear a suit—You should have a few great suits in your closet, period. Look for slim pencil style skirts with a high waist that you can accentuate with a unique belt. If you choose pants, look for a more tailored, slim fit leg for a modern silhouette.
2. Simple shirts—Stick to basic colors like french blue, white, and slate gray. Keep things smooth and covered up with an ingenious invention- dress shirt unitards with attached thongs that keeps everything properly tucked.
Above, from left: Giles & Brothers Faceted Heart Necklace, $88, available at Shopbop; Loeffler Randall Esther Wood Heel Pump, $450, available at Endless; Mulberry Bayswater leather bag, $950, available at Net-A-Porter; Suit image from J. Crew.
3. Invest in the best— Since your clothes will be basic, use a quality bag and pair of shoes to show off your superior sense of fashion. Investing in more expensive pieces will keep you looking classic and not like you rolled out of a mall.
4. Shoe rules— Avoid open-toed shoes and make sure your heels are covered. We recommend a classic pump with at least a 3-inch heel in a round or almond shape. Pointy-toes, begone!
Above, from left: Dolce & Gabbana Women's suit, $570, available at Dolce & Gabbana; Burberry Pyramid Stud Grey IP Watch, $595, available at Saks Fifth Avenue; J. Crew Leopard Patent Belt, $39.50, available at J. Crew; Vivienne Westwood Pinstripe Skirt Suit, $574.00, available at Farfetch.
5. Button up— Jackets should have one or two buttons. Any more, and you'll start to look fuddy-duddy. Extra tip: If you're going for a slim pantsuit, balance out the fit with a shirt that's buttoned all the way to the collar for a subtle but trendy detail.
Above, from left: Apart Pleated Pencil Skirt and Tuxedo Blouse, $98.00 and $79.00, available at Apart Style; Comme des Garcon Glossy Wallet, $245, available at Opening Ceremony; Giles and Brother Skinny Railroad Spike, $55, available at Giles and Brother; Alex and Chloe Stud Earrings, $410, available at Alex and Chloe.
6. Play with your accessories—Distracting accessories like chandelier earrings or statement rings will have your interviewer paying attention to everything but what you're saying. Choose a simple but interesting cuff, watch, stud earrings, a simple necklace, or a patent belt.