1 rib-eye steak, about 14 ounces and an inch thick
1 tbsp oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Sprinkle the steak with salt and pepper, then transfer to the freezer. Freeze for an hour or overnight.
2. Heat the oven to 200ºF.
3. Heat a cast-iron skillet until very hot, about 5 minutes; add the oil. Carefully place the steak in the skillet and sear the steak on one side until a brown crust forms, and sear any fatty edges.
4. Flip the steak so the seared side is up, and transfer the skillet immediately to the oven.
5. Bake the steak about 35 minutes (or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part reaches 125ºF) for rare, 45 minutes (145ºF) for medium, or an hour (165ºF) for well-done. Times will vary depending upon how thick your steak is.
6. When it's cooked to your liking, let the steak stand for 10 minutes with a piece of foil tented over it. Thinly slice the steak, season with salt, and serve.