Meet the latest addition to Chicago's fashion community, Katie Schuppler. This up-and-coming stylist is really heating up on the Chicago scene, and knows everything about the Windy City (and how it very distinctly affects our get-ups). Like the pro that she is, she dispels all sorts of sartorial wisdom and offers her clients all the must-haves, from personal shopping to wardrobe organization to closet clean-outs. With a new season of style just around the corner, we wanted a little taste of Katie's stellar skills. So, we asked her to whip up a little cheat-sheet for getting our wardrobe into shape. We were also dying to know what she thinks we need to add to the mix asap, so she gave us a few suggestions. Check out her advice below, and if you need some personal attention, head to her website, FashionStylingChicago.
5 things to toss asap!
1. Your large hobo bag. "You've probably got a bag so big it can fit all the other tossable items inside. Try a smaller, more refined bag this spring."
2. Harem pants. "Did they ever really work? Probably not. Toss!"
3. Sequins. "Okay, maybe don't throw them away...just pack them away so you're not tempted to wear them for at least a season or two."
4. Feathers. "We know you'll miss them, but spring is a perfect time to rotate in a different kind of accent trend. Enamel and big colored rhinestones are great for spring."
5. Faux fur. "A moment of silence, please."
5 things to try pronto!
1. Neon brights. "Even with a simple outfit, a little bright pop of color is refreshing." Herve Leger V-Neck Jacquard Bandage Dress, $1,450, available at Saks Fifth Avenue.
2. Crochet. "Done right, quality crochet—not grandma's—can have a really elegant, high-end hippie effect." Tall Cream Crochet Fringe Crop Top, $60, available at Topshop.
3. Romance. "In the form of pretty collars, floral dresses, and flattering cinched waists." Elta Strapless Maxi Dress, $420, available at Ted Baker.
4. '70s style. "A lot of women don't think they can wear a '70s cut wide-leg jean but with a trim top and high heels, it can be a great look on a lot of different figures." Wide Leg Trouser Jeans, $79.50, available at Gap.
5. Lace. "Try a T-shirt or tank in a pale nude tone or black." Buff Lace Mesh Insert Tunic, $78, available at Topshop.