Want all this in your inbox?
Get the Refinery29 Newsletter
You're in for a treat...
Thanks for signing up!
Please upgrade your browser for the best Refinery29 experience. Read more.
Who are we kidding? Of course our portions will be bigger than that. Let's get cookin'.
Wild Rice Stuffing With Sausage, Fennel & Cranberries
Serves 8 to 10
1 hour 10 minutes
1 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1 lb bulk italian sausage
1 large onion
2 fennel bulbs
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 cup dried cranberries
2 cups uncooked wild rice
4 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1/4 cup chopped parsely, plus extra for garnish
1. Heat a large pot over low heat and add pine nuts. Cook, stirring very frequently, for about 2 minutes until pine nuts are lightly toasted. Remove pine nuts from pot and set aside.
2. Increase heat to medium-high and add 3 tablespoons olive oil and sausage. Break sausage up with a spoon as it cooks and remove from pot when just cooked through, about 6 minutes. Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
3. Decrease heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon olive oil, onion, fennel, and fennel seeds to pot. Cook until veggies begin to soften and onions are translucent — about 5 minutes.
4. Add wild rice and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, and cover. Cook for 50 minutes or until rice is tender.
5. Add sausage and cranberries and cook 5 more minutes, covered. Stir in pine nuts and parsley, and move to serving dish. Serve.
String Beans With Orange & Almonds
2/3 cup roasted almonds, chopped
2 lbs string beans, washed and trimmed
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
3 oranges, segmented
1. Preheat oven to 375 °F.
2. Coat string beans with 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt.
3. Scatter evenly on baking tray and roast for about 15 minutes, tossing occasionally, until string beans are slightly browned and still a bit firm.
4. Toss with orange segments and almonds and serve.
Sweet Potatoes With Toasted Pecans & Crystalized Ginger
25 to 30 minutes
4 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 4-inch pieces
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups pecans
3 tbsp very thinly sliced crystalized ginger
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Fill a large pot with water. Add sweet potatoes, cover, and bring to a boil.
2. Remove lid once boiling and cook for 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are very tender. Drain and allow sweet potatoes to cool for 10 minutes.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat sweet potatoes with cinnamon, ground ginger, salt, heavy cream, and butter in a large bowl, until smooth and creamy.
4. While sweet potatoes are cooking, place pecans on a baking tray and bake for 4 to 5 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Allow to cool. Roughly chop.
5. Move sweet potatoes to serving dish and sprinkle over toasted pecans and crystalized ginger. Serve.