Want all this in your inbox?
Get the Refinery29 Newsletter
You're in for a treat...
Thanks for signing up!
Please upgrade your browser for the best Refinery29 experience. Read more.
Penne With Butternut Squash
2 1/2 cups butternut squash, chopped in 3/4-inch pieces
1 small red onion, halved lengthwise and sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
6 oz uncooked penne
1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
3/4 cup finely grated pecorino Romano
2 tbsp very thinly sliced fresh sage
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Place squash on a baking tray, coat with 2 tablespoons oil, and season with salt and pepper. Place in oven and cook for 15 minutes.
2. Coat onion with 1 tablespoon oil and add to butternut squash. Cook another 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until butternut squash is tender.
3. While squash is cooking, bring a pot of salted water to boil and cook penne al dente. Drain and coat with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
4. Add squash and onions, lemon zest, cheese, and sage to pasta. Add more black pepper and salt if desired. Serve.
Pear & Pecorino Salad With Maple Dressing
1/2 cup walnut halves
1 red Anjou pear (or green Anjou or Bosc pear) cut lengthwise into 8 pieces, cored
2 1/2 tsp maple syrup
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp olive oil
4 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup shaved pecorino Romano cheese
6 cups mixed baby salad greens, such as baby kale mix
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add walnuts and toast 6 to 8 minutes, until fragrant and golden brown in some spots, tossing often.
2. While the walnuts are toasting, mix 1 teaspoon maple syrup, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon olive oil in a medium bowl. Add pear and toss to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove walnuts from pan and set aside.
3. Place pears in a single layer in a hot skillet, flesh side down. Cook for 1 to 1.5 minutes, until caramelized and golden brown. Flip once to the other flesh side and cook for another 1 to 1.5 minutes. Remove pears from heat, and cut each wedge into 3 to 4 bite-size pieces.
4. For the dressing, mix 1.5 teaspoons maple syrup, 3 teaspoons lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Mix greens, pears, walnuts, and 1/4 cup of cheese in a salad bowl and dress. To serve, divide onto two plates and top with remaining cheese.
Spiced Balsamic Chicken Thighs & Green Beans
4 chicken thighs (bone in, skin on)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chicken or veggie stock
1/2 lb string beans, trimmed