Photo: Courtesy of Bubby & Bean.
DIY Braided Leather Wrap Bracelets: Melissa Baswell Williams of Bubby & Bean
"These braided leather-wrap bracelets make great gifts because they're incredibly versatile. They can be paired with so many different clothing styles, they look chic on everyone, and they're affordable — you can make three of them for under $5!"
Leather, suede, or vinyl cord
Scissors, pliers, and a clamp
For each bracelet: 2 small pinch crimps, 2 jump rings, and a lobster clasp.
1. Cut a piece of cord long enough to wrap around your wrist three-to-four times.
2. Cut two more pieces of cord the same length as the first, so that you have three total.
3. Hold your three pieces of cord together at one end, making sure the ends are lined up.
4. Take one pinch crimp and place it over the ends. Squeeze it shut with your pliers to secure it in place.
5. Use your clamp (or a wrench) to hold the end of the pieces of cord to a table or shelf. This makes it easier (and faster!) to braid evenly.
5. Make a simple three-strand braid with your pieces of cord, all the way to the ends.
6. Take your unfinished braided bracelet and wrap it around your wrist to make sure that it fits around twice. Mark the end by holding it between your fingers. Add about half an inch to that, then cut off the excess.
7. Use a pinch crimp to secure the other end the same way you did earlier.
8. Use your pliers to open your jump rings, then attach one to each pinch crimp. Close one of the rings (again, using your pliers), and leave the other slightly open.
9. Slide your lobster clasp onto the open jump ring and close the ring with pliers.