Macy's Drops Donald Trump In Continued Fall-Out From Racist Speech

Photo: Courtesy of REX Shutterstock.
Macy's shoppers will no longer be able to buy Donald Trump's signature line of shirts and ties. The chain announced today that it's dropping the Donald over racist comments he made earlier this week.

"Macy’s is a company that stands for diversity and inclusion," a rep said in an emailed statement. "We do not believe [Trump's] disparaging characterizations portray an accurate picture of the many Mexicans, Mexican Americans and Latinos who have made so many valuable contributions to the success of our nation."

Macy's is the latest in a string of companies distancing themselves from the presidential candidate and remarkable hair-haver. Earlier this week, NBC said it won't air Trump's beauty pageant, following in the footsteps of Univision. This entire mess stems from one really terrible speech.

On June 16, Donald Trump announced he was seeking the Republican nomination for President...by saying some very disparaging things about Mexico. "When do we beat Mexico at the border?" He continued, "They're laughing at us. At our stupidity. And now, they're beating us economically. They are not our friend. Believe me."

His offensive rant did not end there. "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best...They're sending people that have lots of problems and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists." Trump graciously added, "And some, I assume are good people."
Advertisement
In reaction to Trump's flagrant racism, both NBC and the Spanish network Univision chose not to air this year's Miss USA pageant, scheduled for July 12, which is half-owed by Trump. Both Roselyn Sánchez and Cristián de la Fuente, the co-hosts for the Univision telecast, backed out early on.

Univision explained its decision in a statement. "At Univision, we see first-hand the work ethic, love for family, strong religious values, and the important role Mexican immigrants and Mexican-Americans have had and will continue to have in building the future of our country."

Mr. Trump is now suing Univision for $500 million for failing the "51 wonderful girls" planning to participate in the pageant and for violating his First Amendment rights, he said in a campaign event in New Hampshire.

"What NBC and Univision did to these young women was disgraceful," Trump reportedly said. Mr. Trump has not announced plans to sue NBC, which planned to broadcast the pageant in English.

But the blowback from the comments has continued: Dancing With The Stars ace Cheryl Burke just reneged on her hosting responsibilities, along with co-host, MSNBC anchor Thomas Roberts. The standing Miss USA, Nia Sanchez, whose paternal grandfather was Mexican, Instagrammed in support of the pageant, touting its inclusivity.
Others signed a Change.org petition to NBC to change its decision. "Nobody's ignorance or intolerant remarks should come between these 51 contestants and the once-in-a-lifetime chance," it reads, emblazoned with the hashtag #SaveTheSash.

Donald Trump, meanwhile, has not changed his mind. He and Miss USA organizers say they will livestream the pageant, without NBC or Univision.
Advertisement