This Man's iPhone Sent Him To The Hospital For 10 Days

Photo: Joby Sessions/REX USA
Yep, you have to worry about your iPhone exploding now, too.

According to New York affiliate WABC, a Long Island man was hospitalized after suffering second and third degree burns caused by the small, but seemingly spontaneous, explosion of his iPhone 5C.

Erik Johnson was attending his cousin's funeral on February 14 when he felt a strange pop in the pocket where he kept his phone. The 29-year-old experienced an instant burning sensation and quickly realized his leg was on fire.

"I had the phone in my pocket, simple little gesture, bent over to get keys and all I heard was pop. Sssssh smoke coming out," Johnson told the news network. "And, just like an instant burn, my leg just starts going on fire, try to get it out, can't get it out. I was literally jumping up and down trying to get the phone out of my pocket, but I think the phone melted my pockets shut so I couldn't get into it and I had to rip my pants off and throw the pants to the side. A couple of people actually said they could smell my body burning."

The explosion was reportedly caused by the phone's lithium ion battery, which melted and fused to the case before burning Johnson's inner thigh.

His injuries were severe enough to warrant a 10-day hospital stay. Johnson is considering suing Apple in the wake of the incident.

We're definitely rethinking sleeping with our phones under our pillows... 
Advertisement