Ingredients: Mac & Cheese:
2 1/2 cups cooked elbow pasta
8 fl oz cheese sauce (see below)
2 tbsp bread crumbs
3/4 cup mixed cheeses (grated provolone and cheddar)
4 oz unsalted butter
4 oz all purpose flour
1 qt milk
8 onions (sliced)
4 oz butter
1 cup Béchamel
1 1/4 cup milk
2 oz provolone (grated)
1 1/2 oz mozzarella (grated)
4 1/2 oz cheddar (grated)
1 1/2 oz onion confit
1 tbsp salt
white pepper (to taste)
1. Béchamel: In a small saucepan, melt the butter over a medium flame. Add the flour and whisk continuously. Cool slowly over a low flame for 10-15 minutes.
2. Slowly add the milk while whisking. Cook until mixture thickens.
3. Strain through a fine chinois into a storage container.
4. Use immediately or cool properly and store refrigerated in a lidded container. Note: Do not let burn on bottom or sides. Cook until flour does not taste "raw." The milk should be cold when adding it to the flour and butter.
5. Onion Confit: Cook on medium high heat with butter until dark, golden brown.
6. Cheese Sauce: Put béchamel and milk in a heavy bottomed pot and slowly heat over a flame. Add sauté.
7. When the mix comes to a boil, add the cheeses and onion confit. Heat just enough to melt in the cheeses and distribute evenly.
8. Cool properly and store refrigerated in a lidded container. Note: Be careful not to let the mix stick or bun the pan while cooking.
9. Bring it all together: Pre-heat oven to 450 Fahrenheit.
10. Mix the pasta and cheese sauce together. Place in crock pot or casserole that you can put in the oven. Sprinkle with grated cheese, and then bread crumbs.
11. Bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on the oven. The Mac & Cheese must be golden brown.
Here's the perfect playlist to listen to while you're cooking, courtesy of chef Dave Kornell and the Supper app on Spotify.
Blue Smoke Apple Wood Smoked Turkey:
4 kg fresh turkey (all natural or organic)
7.5 l water
2 cups Kosher salt
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 clove garlic (split)
1 1/2 tbsp black peppercorns
1/2 tbsp juniper berries
3 Bay leaves
Mom Dufort's Meat Stuffing:
1 kg ground beef
1/3 kg sweet Italian sausage
4 stalks celery (minced)
3 onions (minced)
1 cup pecans (minced)
Turkey livers, hearts, and gizzards (all chopped fine)
4 cups stale bread (diced)
Turkey broth (to moisten)
Salt and pepper
1. For the brine: Add brine ingredients together and bring it all to a boil. Add the turkey and refrigerate for 10 hours overnight. When ready, remove turkey from brine and pat it dry.
2. Smoking the turkey 'Blue Smoke' style: Smoke with apple wood at 90 degrees celsius until you have an internal temperature on the meatiest part of the thigh of 70 degrees. Allow to rest and serve.
3. The stuffing: Sauté ground beef and sausage, making sure to get a nice roasted color on the meat. Remove from pan and drain off some of the rendered fat. Add onions and celery to the pan and sauté gently.
4. In a large bowl, combine the cooked meats, onions, celery, pecans, livers, hearts, gizzards, and stale bread. Moisten well with turkey broth and season with salt and pepper.
5. Place in an appropriately sized baking dish and bake at 175 degrees celsius until done.
6. Bring it all together: Add some mayo, a few slices of canned cranberry, and place it between some great, fresh bread from a local bakery.
Here's Eddie Montalvo's cooking playlist, courtesy of the Supper app on Spotify: