Burgers and steaks, move over. No I mean, literally — just make a little extra space on your grill this weekend for these spicy veggie skewers. They'll make an excellent side dish to your carnivorous grill plans, or an easy vegetarian meal with just a few extra additions. We served ours taco style with roasted tomatillo salsa and some tangy queso fresco.
Grilled Chili-Lime Veggie Skewers
Makes about 6 skewers
1 big handful of baby bella mushrooms
1/2 red onion
1 red pepper
For the chili lime oil:
2 tbsps olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsps fresh lime juice
Splash of agave syrup or honey
1/2 tsp cumin or chili powder
Pinch of cayenne (optional)
Salt & pepper
Extra lime slices
Salsa, any kind you like, or this roasted tomatillo salsa recipe
1. If you're using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before you start grilling so they don't burn.
2. Whisk together the chili lime oil, set aside.
3. Preheat your grill (or grill pan).
4. Chop veggies so that they are somewhat uniform in size and thread them onto the skewers. Sprinkle them with some salt and brush the veggies with the chili-lime oil.
5. Grill for a few minutes on each side, until the mushrooms are cooked through and a nice char has formed on the edges of the veggies. (About 10-12 minutes total, depending on the size of your veggies and the heat of your grill.)
6. Remove from heat and brush them with the remainder of the oil.
Optional: Serve with warm tortillas, tomatillo salsa, cheese and/or avocado slices.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Love and Lemons.