1. Shelter Island. "Who doesn't want to get out of the city, especially in the summer? Growing up in New York gives you a profound connection to the buildings and streets, but also a special place in your heart for leaving. Shelter Island is pretty and quiet, and we do a lot of nothing when we're out there."
2. Pamela Love Jewelry. "Our friend Pam makes the most beautiful, well-crafted jewelry. Skye likes the gold eagle talon cuffs. Katherine likes the bird skull necklace."
3. Slouching Towards Bethlehem by Joan Didion (Katherine). "This book made me move to California a couple of years ago. She has said she can spend an entire day writing one sentence. I can spend an entire day re-reading her sentences trying to figure out how they work so well. I will always give away my copy to someone who hasn't read it, so I always have to buy it whenever I see it. She makes me want to write more, smoke cigarettes, wear big sunglasses, and drive fast."
4. Saul Leiter (Skye). "He spent much of his artistic career as an abstract painter, but Stiedl has released two books of his color photographs in the past few years, and they are absolutely amazing. Most are street views of New York in the '50s and '60s, but everything about them is unexpected. I'm particularly in awe of the way he can layer bits of people, street signs, reflections in windows, whatever, and end up with a nearly abstract composition. I bought his book Early Color when it came out, and I have been in love with his work ever since."
2. Slouching Towards Bethlehem by Joan Didion (Katherine). "This book made me move to California a couple of years ago..."