Refinery29 is participating in First Lady Michelle Obama's #GimmeFive challenge. To learn more, click here.
Chefs certainly inspire us, but the dishes they plate up can sometimes look a little intimidating. The idea of making them at home may seem unrealistic. So, when Chef Roblé, from Bravo's Chef Roblé & Co, told me that he was going to make an entire meal in just 15 minutes, I was thinking, "Maybe YOU can make a meal in 15 minutes." But, it turns out, he was right. Check out the video to get acquainted with the steps, and then try it for yourself at home.
Chef Roblé's Healthy Dinner In No Time
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 (4 to 6 oz) salmon filet, skin on
1 cup baby kale, chopped into strips
1 cup broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup avocado vinaigrette (reserve 2 tbsp for topping)
2 tbsp grated feta
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp parsley, chopped (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a medium-sized pot, bring water to a boil. Preheat a nonstick, oven-proof pan on high heat.
3. While the pan is warming up, massage 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt, and pepper on the skin side of the salmon.
4. Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil into the nonstick pan (it should smoke), and carefully place salmon filet in the pan, skin side down. Apply light pressure with a spatula over the salmon to ensure that the skin cooks evenly (about 1 minute).
5. Transfer the oven-proof pan to your preheated oven and let the salmon cook for 8 minutes (set a timer!) for medium doneness.
6. While the salmon is in the oven, make the salad. At this point your water should be boiling. Season it with salt and cook the broccoli florets for 3 minutes.
7. Drain the broccoli and toss in a medium size bowl over the chopped baby kale. The heat from the broccoli will wilt the kale. Add the avocado vinaigrette and toss well. (Remember to save about 2 tablespoons to garnish the salmon.)
8. Your salmon should now be close to done. Pull it out of the oven and set aside.
9. Place warm broccoli and kale salad on a plate, top with 2 tablespoons of grated feta cheese, and then add the salmon filet, skin side up.
10. Top with the reserved avocado dressing. Garnish with chopped parsley (optional) and freshly ground black pepper. Enjoy immediately.