While us New Yorkers usually give the derisive eye-roll to pesky tourists, there are days when we want to take a little stay-cation in this city of ours. And if we were visitors, there's one place above the rest we'd want to crash at—The Standard Hotel. Single-handedly transforming the Meatpacking district from cheesy to chic, the world's most famous hotelier, André Balazs, has given us a whole new reason to go way west. With roof-top yoga, bathing-suit dispensing vending machines, the hottest dinner and party-place in town, and one rockin' beer garden, the Standard is a one-stop for all things trendy. Lucky for us, you can get in the fun without booking a room by stopping by their in-house boutique, which is quite possibly the coolest hotel store, ever. Just in time for Mother's Day and all those summer birthdays, André: Balazs Properties' genius creative director, Claire Darrow, picks out her five fave new items so you can check in with some class.
Here's Darrow's top five new in-store items:
1. Dianora Salviati silk & cashmere scarves ($195): "Each scarf is made in Tuscany on Dianora's family's old oak looms and takes 5 hours to be woven by hand. It's the perfect weight for travel and is season-less—they're the most beautiful scarves I've ever come across."
2. Papabubble Spring flower lollipops ($14):"These Little Italy, NYC based candy artisans made special handmade giant flower pops for us. They're great, gorgeous gifts— we can't keep enough of them in stock!"
3. Dominic Jones jewelry (from $595): "The Double Claw ring and the Rang necklace are tough and goth, but get sweet in rose gold."
4. Clare Vivier flat tote ($195): "These understated and easy bags are made from unlined, vegetable-dyed Italian leather and they're the perfect size to carry just a laptop and some work files."
5. Jose Parla's Cityscapes book ($38): "This book from one of my favorite artists, Jose Parla, is his first monograph and his paintings are so New York. Watch out for upcoming exciting Standard/Parla collaborations later this Spring."
The Standard's offering y'all a chance to get in on the buzz;—all day today our readers will score 20% off anything on the website. Just enter promocode R29 at check-out!
The Standard Store at the Standard Hotel
848 Washington (at West 13th Street); 212-645-4646
Photos by Caroline Sinders