10 oranges, scrubbed
1 liter good quality vodka (minimum 80 proof/40%)
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 cups water
1. Peel all oranges with a vegetable peeler or knife, removing as much pith (white stuff) from the peels.
2. Thinly slice the peels and place into a large jar (I like to use ball jars for this).
3. Pour vodka over peels, seal jar and allow mixture infuse in a cool, dry place for 2 to 3 weeks, shaking the mixture once every 2 days.
4. After 2 to 3 weeks have gone by, make simple syrup: combine sugar and water with a pot and simmer until sugar dissolves. Set aside and cool completely.
5. Once simple syrup has cooled, strain vodka and orange peel mixture. Stir simple syrup into infused vodka and serve over ice with mint leaves or add a small amount to your favorite cocktail for an intense orange kick!
Photos: Courtesy of Spoon Fork Bacon