Homemade Granola Bars
3 cups rolled oats, lightly toasted
1 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes, lightly toasted
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 tablespoons flax seeds
1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
2/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup honey
2 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup dried blueberries
1 cup dried fruit of your choice
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Line the bottom and sides of a 13”x9”x1” baking sheet (aka a quarter sheet pan) with parchment paper, leaving a slight flap of parchment on all sides, hanging over the edge. Lightly grease with coconut oil and set aside.
3. Place first seven ingredients into a large mixing bowl and toss together.
4. Pour the maple syrup, oil, honey, and sugar into a small saucepan over medium heat and stir together. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
5. Pour contents of saucepan over the oat mixture and stir together until fully incorporated. Fold in dried fruit until well combined.
6. Pour mixture into the prepared baking pan and press down until you have one big rectangular block of granola. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until light- golden brown (you don’t want the top to get too dark because the rest of the sides will be slightly darker).
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
8. Lift the granola out of the baking sheet, and allow to completely cool before cutting into bars. Serve.
Photos: Courtesy of Spoon Fork Bacon