Kale and Artichoke Dip
Makes 2 cups
2 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 shallot, chopped
5 ounces chopped kale, ribs removed
1/4 cup dry white wine (chicken or vegetable broth is okay)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup fat free sour cream (optional)
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1 cup chopped (canned) artichoke hearts
1/2 cup diced water chestnuts
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon cumin, optional
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place oil in a large sauté pan, over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté for 1 minute. Add kale and continue to sauté for 3 minutes.
2. Add wine and cover for 1 minute or until kale has wilted and all the liquid has dissolved from the pan. Sprinkle garlic over mixture and sauté for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Remove mixture from stove and transfer to a food processor. Pulse 3 to 4 times and set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl combine the kale mixture with the remaining ingredients and stir together until the dip is well mixed. Season generously with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
5. Serve with baked, whole wheat pita chips.
Photos: Courtesy of Spoon Fork Bacon