1/2 recipe Arepa
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons minced shallot
1 chipotle pepper in adobo, minced, plus 1 tablespoon adobo
1 1/2 cups shredded, roasted chicken
2- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
cilantro yogurt sauce:
1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt (can use sour cream or Mexican crèma)
1/4 bunch cilantro
1/2 lime, juiced
1 1/2 cups shredded Oaxaca cheese
1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
8 to 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 avocado, diced
1/2 cup grilled corn
Mexican crèma, as much or as little as you like
4 to 6 lime wedges
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat a large cast iron skillet (or nonstick pan) over medium heat.
2. Make arepa dough according to the recipe. After dough has rested, form into a ball and place between plastic wrap. Using the bottom of a baking dish or large pan, gently and evenly press down on the wrapped ball until you’ve formed somewhat of an 8-10 inch round that’s about 1/8 inch thick.
3. Carefully peel the top layer of the plastic wrap from the arepa and flip into the hot skillet, then removing the bottom layer of plastic wrap. Cook arepa on each side for about 15 minutes.
4. While the arepa cooks, pour oil in a medium sauté pan and place over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté for 1 minute. Add chipotle and adobe to shallots and stir for an additional minute. Add chicken and fold together until fully incorporated. Finally, add the honey, gently stir together and remove from heat. Set aside.
5. For the cilantro sauce: Place all ingredients into a food processor pulse 6-8 times or until cilantro is finely minced and incorporated. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
6. Once the arepa has crisped and slightly browned on each side, remove from heat and spoon cilantro sauce over the surface. Sprinkle half the cheese over the sauce and top with chicken. Sprinkle remaining cheese over chicken and place in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes (you’re just looking to melt the cheese).
7. Remove arepa from the oven and skillet and top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, and a drizzle of crema. Lightly season with salt and pepper and serve with lime wedges.
Like This? Try These:
Carne Asada Torta
Achiote Grilled Fish Tacos