Spiced Butternut Squash Pie
Makes 1 Pie (9”)
14 ounces vanilla wafer cookies, finely ground into crumbs
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 cups butternut squash puree
1/2 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup whole milk
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Unsweetened Whipped Cream:
1 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl mix together the vanilla wafer crumbs and melted butter until fully incorporated. Press the mixture into a 9” pie dish or tart shell, pressing both evenly on the bottom and up the sides. Place onto a baking sheet and then into the refrigerator until ready to use.
3. Place butternut squash puree in a bowl and add the remaining filling ingredients. Stir together until fully incorporated and no lumps remain. Pour the filling into the prepared crust and carefully set into the lowest rack of the oven. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until the filling has set, but is barely loose in the middle.
4. Allow pie to cool completely, about 2 to 3 hours. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
5. For the unsweetened whipped cream: Place cream and vanilla into a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or in a large bowl, if using a hand mixer. Beat cream and vanilla on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
6. To serve: Generously top pie with whipped cream and top with a light sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg, or both. Serve.
Like This? Try These:
Blueberry Slab Pie
Asian Pear Tartlets
Peanut-Butter & Jelly Pie Sticks