Philip Crangi is one of our fave local designers, with two bad-ass lines of jewels (Philip Crangi and Giles & Brother) that are de rigeur for a coffee at Café Gitane or a late-night cocktail at the Jane. The CFDA winner moved to NYC in '94 and never looked back, speeding through the accessories world at break-neck pace—think collabs with Mariko Mori and Michele Oka Doner, designing an eponymous Tokyo nightclub, and a stint teaching goldsmithing at the 92nd Street Y. A flurry of noteworthy projects started flooding in: jewels for Vera Wang, Shipley & Halmos, and Phillip Lim's shows, plus a 2009 line for Jason Wu. To get in on his creative process, we tapped this adorable dude for his top NYC spots, from an awesome oyster joint to a little hideaway to score some xeroxed zines.
Here's the places where Crangi takes a well-needed break:
1. Partners and Spade: "They have such a wide variety of well-curated oddities and great finds." 40 Great Jones Street (between Bowery and Lafayette Street); 646-861-2827
2. Keen's Steak House: "Why? The porterhouse for two and a couple dozen oysters. I mean..." 72 West 36th Street (between 5th and 6th avenues); 212-947-3636
3. The Book Gallery: "A great variety of beautiful first editions, often signed. And, the fact that it's in a wholesale florist means you can also shop for your flowers at the same time." (formerly Skyline Books on 18th Street) 51 West 28th Street (between Broadway and 6th Avenue); 212-532-9838
4. Printed Matter: "I find the breadth of their collection really inspiring--I like the high-low aspect of their selection. You can find everything from a limited-edition monograph to a xeroxed zine." 195 10th Avenue (at West 22nd Street); 212-925-0325
5. 2A: "[This bar is] sooooo close to home..." 25 Avenue A (at 2nd Street); 212-505-2466
6. Jackson Square: "I love it there, the trees were so spectacular this spring and I got to see them on my way from my studio to my shop." Horatio Street (between 8th and Greenwich avenues)
Even if you don't visit his fave spots, you can still get some Crangi love. Get 20% off everything from today until next Thursday (that's a whole week) at Giles & Brother's e-commerce site. Just enter REFINERY at check-out.