If you’re shipping off to Coachella or another music festival this month, the last thing you want to do is bring a week’s worth of clothing in a giant rolling suitcase. When I’ve attended music festivals in the past, I try to pack as lightly as possible to make traveling easy. So, today I thought I’d show you how I pack a weekender when I’m traveling light. As you might expect, it’s all about mixing and matching a few key pieces. If you have any music festivals on your calendar, you’ll definitely want to take note. But, these packing suggestions also work well for any weekend trip or quick spring getaway.
Gap Long Cardigan, $24.99, available at Gap; Topshop Ruffle Floral Bralette, $56, available at Nordstrom; Topshop Wheel Lace Crop Dress, $96, available at Topshop; Madewell The Billie Boot, $228, available at Madewell; LC Lauren Conrad Cuffed Denim Shorts, $32.99, available at Kohl's; LC Lauren Conrad Flip-Flops, $12.99, available at Kohl's; ModCloth Scallop, Up, And Away! Top, $29.99, available at ModCloth.
1. Sundress. A sundress is great for packing light because it doesn’t take up much room and it’s an instant outfit in one piece. Pick a material that doesn’t wrinkle, and you can roll it up to make it even more compact.
2. Sandals. For music festivals, I pack flat sandals that are for comfortable standing all day and hardly take up any room in my suitcase.
3. Boyfriend cardigan. You’ll definitely want to pack a versatile jacket or sweater for chilly desert nights. A lightweight cardigan is a smart pick because it looks great layered over a sundress or with shorts and a tee.
5. Ankle booties. While you can get away with just wearing one pair of shoes all weekend. But I’ve found that if I roll up my socks and undies inside my booties, they don’t take up too much extra space. And it’s always nice to have an extra shoe option.
6. Shorts. Bring your most versatile pair of denim shorts and you can wear them with a couple different tops during your trip.
7. Tank or tee. Choose a basic tank or tee that will go with your same pair of shorts as the crop top.
Another tip: Make sure that all your pieces fit within the same color palette — in this case, I chose mostly pastels and denim — so you can mix and match easily, allowing you to repeat pieces during the long weekend. Do you have any music festivals coming up? Share your concert calendar in the comments!