Today we’re sharing a recipe for patriotic pancakes that our LaurenConrad.com nutritionist contributor, Shira Lenchewski, RD., told us about. Not only are they red, white and blue to honor this American holiday, they’re super healthy, too.
Related: Gluten-Free Cauliflower Pizza Crust
2 tsp + 1 tbsp grape seed oil
1 cup blueberries
1 cup raspberries
1 cup gluten free whole oat flour (or whole wheat flour)
2/3 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place the berries on a parchment-lined baking sheet (keeping blueberries and raspberries separate), and toss with grape seed oil. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove berries from the oven, and scoop into two separate bowls.
3. Heat a skillet over medium heat while you make the pancake batter.
4. Combine the flour, yogurt, and salt in a bowl and mix well. In a smaller bowl, beat the eggs.
5. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients, and stir to distribute evenly. Separate mixture evenly into 3 small bowls.
6. Fold 1-2 tbsp baked blueberries into one bowl of pancake batter, and 1-2 tbsp baked raspberries into another, until desired consistency and color. (You may want to add a little extra flour if the consistency becomes too runny.)
7. Pour a tbsp of oil in the skillet, and ladle small amounts of blueberry batter onto the pan. Make any size pancake you like! Cook until bubbles form in the center of the pancake and the underside is lightly browned (2-4 minutes). Carefully flip, and cook the second side until lightly browned. Remove to a plate, and repeat with the raspberry and plain batter. Top with the remaining baked berries.
Related: Must-Try Healthy Protein Cookie Dough
We recommend serving these pancakes with a teaspoon of coconut sugar and a dollop of 2% plain Greek yogurt, which gives them an unexpected burst of flavor. Enjoy! And have a fabulous Labor Day.
From her laid-back, effortless style to a fresh, ahead-of-the-trend beauty aesthetic, Lauren Conrad is a girl after our own heart. So, each week, the born-and-bred California girl and editor-in-chief of LaurenConrad.com will share with us her insider secrets and personal musings. Plus, check out her visually stunning guest pinning here!