Get a kick start with our list of the season's top men's shoes. By Piera Gelardi & Christene Barberich
Beyond the obvious—comfort and practicality—an inside source revealed some tough truths about why a man's shoe is so important…and elusive. 1. A good shoe (ie: the right one) forms the foundation of his outfit, and it will forgive most other shortcomings. 2. Buying a shoe is an investment, akin to that of a good watch, but usually exceedingly more affordable. 3. Beautifully crafted men's shoes—sans sneakers or faux orthopedics—are virtually impossible to find.
Taking these guidelines under advisement, we searched far and wide to gather a range of designs that serve all manner of purposes. Walking, driving, dashing, or just dinner and a movie, each of our top fall shoes has a street-smart timelessness that forgoes any passing trends. A sheepskin-lined ankle boot by A.P.C., waxed cotton brogues from Rachel Comey, and ultra-glossy navy sneakers by Common Projects top our list…and yield a whole new generation of shoes that will finish a fellow off in style.
2. Hope high leather boots. For more info go to www.hope-sthlm.com.
3. Rachel Comey gray cotton canvas brogues, $276, available at Hollander & Lexer, 58 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn; 718-797-9190.
4. B Store Mario red leather jazz shoes, about $300, available at B Store, 24a Savile Row, London; +44 (0) 207-734-6846. Or go to www.bstorelondon.com.
6. YMC cream raised-sole canvas boot, $88, available at Jake, 939 Rush Street, Chicago; 312-664-5553 and at Blackbird, 5410 22nd Avenue NW, Seattle; 206-547-2524.
7. Chausseur Double brown leather hiking boot, $660, available at Bblessing, 181 Orchard Street, New York City; 212-378-8005.
8. Surface to Air No Lace sneaker, $185, available at Bblessing, 181 Orchard Street, New York City; 212-378-8005.
9. NDC Rene Antelope boots, $645, available at Jake, 939 Rush Street, Chicago; 312-664-5553.
10. Quoddy leather boat shoes, $136, available at South Williard, 8038 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles; 323-653-6153.
11. Surface to Air canvas Mountain sneakers, $140, available at Odin, 328 East 11th Street, New York City; 212-475-0666 and 199 Lafayette Street New York City; 212-966-0026 and at Bblessing, 181 Orchard Street, New York City; 212-378-8005.
12. YMC leather strap ankle boots, $366, available at Hejfina, 1529 N. Milwaukee, Chicago; 773-772-0002.
Get a kick start with our list of the season's top men's shoes.