California Chicken Tacos With Corn And Red Cabbage Slaw
Serves 4 to 6
For the chicken
1 5-pound roasting chicken
Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
3 to 4 ears of fresh corn, husks attached
1/2 medium-sized red cabbage, finely sliced
1 bunch green onions, finely sliced
6 oz queso fresca, crumbled
12 flour tortillas, warmed
Sour cream (optional)
1. Place chicken in roasting pan, or prepare for grilling as you normally would. Generously salt the cavity. Zest the limes, then cut them in half. Gently loosen the skin of the chicken: Start at the neck, work back towards the breast, and then finish at the legs. Push the lime zest under the skin, spreading evenly. Squeeze the lime juice over the chicken and place the squeezed limes in its cavity. Dust chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Place it in a 325° Fahrenheit oven for 1 hour 45 minutes, or grill as you normally would a whole chicken.
2. Gently remove the cornsilk from the corn so that the cob can still rest in it's husk. Fill a large bowl or Ziploc bag with icy water and soak the corn for 15 to 20 minutes. Place corn in its husk on a medium-hot grill and cook for 25 minutes, turning as the husks char. Remove from grill and let cool, then remove kernels.
3. Place cabbage in a bowl with the corn kernels, sliced green onions, and crumbled queso fresca. Squeeze the juice of the three limes over the mixture. Set aside.
4. When chicken is finished cooking, let it cool and then remove meat, discarding the skin and bones. Serve the chicken pieces on a platter next to the corn, cabbage slaw, and warm tortillas.
5. To assemble: Place the chicken on a tortilla, add slaw, sour cream, and cilantro (if desired), and roll into a taco or burrito.
Recipe: Linda Burkhart
Next: Corn Tortilla Chips You Can Make In Your Own Kitchen
Food52 helps people become better, smarter, happier cooks. It was named Best Food Publication at the 2012 James Beard Awards and Best Culinary Website at the 2013, 2014, and 2015 IACP Awards.