Last month, contributor Daniela Jacobs schooled us on how to create a cute pendant out of an old sock (seriously!). This month, she and her DIY prowess return with an amazing geometric hoop earring. With simple supplies that you can pick up for pennies at the hardware store, you too can fashion yourself one of these major statement earrings. Click through to learn how!
An old newspaper
A can, jar, or something with a circular bottom
Nail polish in a color you like
2 short springs
2 earring clips
Some thin but sturdy wire
1. Cut two pieces of wire to be about 6 inches long. Use wire cutters if you have them, or sharp scissors (but, be careful!).
2. Wrap the wire tightly around the bottom of the can or jar to get it to mimic that circular shape. Do the same to both strips of wire.
3. Align the spring so that the ends match up with the top holes on each side of the bracket. Then, loop the earring clip through the top of the wire, and proceed to slide the ends of the wire through both the ends of the spring and the top holes of the bracket.
4. Snip the ends of the wire off if necessary, and bend them upwards to keep everything securely in place. Repeat steps 2 - 4 with the other set of wire and brackets.
5. Place both earrings on top of an old piece of newspaper. Then with your favorite nail polish, paint the earring clip. Set someplace safe to dry.
And, voila! You've got a fierce pair of geometric hoop earrings. Wear 'em proudly!