Refinery29 is participating in First Lady Michelle Obama's #GimmeFive challenge. To learn more, click here.
You know how people say, "Put an egg on it?" Well, I like to put an avocado on it. I've never understood when people turn up their noses at vegan foods that substitute avocado for other ingredients. That sounds like an absolute dream to me. So, when Chef Roblé (from the hit Bravo show) showed me how to make this vegan, oil-free, five-ingredient avocado dip, I ate it by the spoonful while fantasizing about all the things I could slather it on — salad, crudités, roasted vegetables, chicken, fish, my entire body... Okay, things just got weird, but luckily, this recipe isn't.
Chef's Roblé's Vegan Avocado Vinaigrette
1 whole avocado, pitted and scooped
1 whole lemon, juiced and zest
1/2 tbsp garlic, chopped
2 tbsp shallots, chopped
1 cup of water
Salt and pepper
1. Finely chop up your shallots and garlic. Set aside.
2. Zest and juice your lemon. Set both aside.
3. Open and pit the avocado, scoop out the insides, and set aside. Discard skin and pit.
4. Place avocado, lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/2 tablespoon of garlic, 2 tablespoons of shallots, and 1 cup of water in a blender and blend until smooth.
5. Add a little salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
6. Serve on whatever dish you are enjoying, or store in the fridge in a cellophane-covered bowl.