Refinery29 is participating in First Lady Michelle Obama's #GimmeFive challenge. To learn more, click here.
As part of our collaboration with the First Lady, we were invited into the White House kitchen with chef Cris Comerford, the first female White House chef in U.S. history. While the surroundings are somewhat intimidating (the kitchen is behind bullet proof glass), she immediately made us feel at home with her warm and welcoming demeanor.
Although we knew we were going to be cooking with her, we had no idea she would be designing a dish using our #GimmeFive ingredients! That's right: A White House chef designed this recipe just for us. It's fast, healthy, and is the perfect meal to make for dinner — with enough leftovers for lunch the next day.
Whole Wheat Orzo With Pan-Roasted Broccoli, Feta Cheese Crumbles, & Avocado-Olive Oil Dressing
1 cup whole wheat orzo pasta
1 tbsp olive oil, for pan roasting, plus 2 tbsp for the dressing
1 lb broccoli, cut into small florets
1 avocado, diced (half for the dressing, half for garnish)
1/2 cup low-fat feta cheese (half for the dressing, half for garnish)
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the whole wheat orzo pasta according to the package directions. Drain and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
2. In a large sauté pan set on medium heat, drizzle one tablespoon of olive oil. Add the broccoli florets and pan roast for several minutes to get the desired color.
3. Add the cooked broccoli to the orzo pasta.
4. For the dressing, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/2 an avocado, and feta cheese in a blender. Blend until smooth. (You can add a little water to achieve a lighter consistency.)
5. Lightly toss the dressing, orzo, and broccoli. Season with salt and pepper, and garnish with the remaining half of the avocado. Serve.