Earthly delights are unquestionably on our itinerary for the 40th anniversary of Earth Day: Think organic ingredients, eco-friendly packaging, and earth-respecting initiatives. According to Environmental Working Group's cosmeticsdatabase.com, the average person uses up to 15 products a day and each lotion, shampoo, or lipstick can contain unregulated toxins and pollution-causing ingredients. In a nutshell, what you put on your skin and wash down the drain affects your body and the environment in a big way. Thankfully, organic and natural beauty lines are on the rise, and many beauty brands have course-corrected and removed harmful and down-right gross elements, allowing beauty devotees to happily worship the gospel of green. Here, our list of natural stars sows the seeds of eco-friendly glamour.
Above, clockwise from left:
1. EDUN for Sephora palettes in warm neutrals or cool brights, $36 each, available at Sephora (and in Sephora stores starting in May)—Housed in natural wood packaging and Uganda-made organic cotton pouches, each palettes comes with six eyeshadows and one blush that are paraban and allergan-free, and $3 of every sale to goes the Wildlife Conservation Society to help develop the organic cotton trade and support local sustainable trade in Africa through the Conservation Cotton Initiative in Uganda.
2. A Beautiful Life natural nail lacquers, $12, available at A Beautiful Life—These non-toxic, soy-based, and 3 Free (no Formaldehyde, DBP or Toulene) polishes come in fun, daring shades and recyclable packaging.
3. Naturopathica Sweet Lupine Cleansing Crème, $38, available at Naturopathica—Packed with botanicals like hydrating rose, restorative wild mango and repairing lupine protein, this ECOCERT cleanser plays double duty as a makeup remover too.
4. Origins A Perfect World Age-Defense Moisturizer SPF 25, $38.50, available at Origins—Using white tea's super-antioxidants, this cream protects and boosts skin's resistance to pollution, plus Origins will plant a tree in your name with every purchase of the moisturizer until April 30.
Above, from left:
5. L'Occitane Eté Indien Peony Liquid Shine Lip Colour, $14, available at L'Occitane—Inspired by the color of peony blossoms and housed in eco-friendly packaging, the line contains softening peony extract and is paraban-free.
6. Physician's Formula Bamboo Wear Compact, $6.95, available at Ultra Beauty—crafted from 100% naturally sustainable bamboo, this refillable compact contains powder, mirror and brush in one.
7. Tigi Love Peace & the Planet hair care collection, $18.95-$22.95, available at Tigi—Free of parabans, sulfates, and artificial fragrances, the line contains natural and organic ingredients, and its packaging is recyclable and made from 50% post-consumer recycled materials.
Above, from left:
8. John Masters Organics Dry Hair Nourishment & Defrizzer, $16, available at Beauty.com—Moisturize and smooth hair with this leave-in treatment containing 100% USDA organically certified plant and essential oils.
9. Jurlique Earth Day Best Seller Bundle (Herbal Recovery Gel, Balancing Day Cream, Rosewater Balancing Mist, Lavender Hand Cream), $114, available at Jurlique—Sourcing their biodynamically grown, natural and organic ingredients from their own Australian farm, this Earth Day, Jurlique helps promote green spaces by taking 25% off all online orders and donating a portion of all sales to botanical gardens New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.
10. Aerie Botanicals Coconut & Vanilla Body Butter, $14.50, available at Aerie—With 92% all natural ingredients and a proprietary Nature Active Complex containing vitamin E, antioxidants from the amia plant and cardamom, this paraban-free lotion will have your skin super soft in no time.