We don't need a new season or trend to be reminded of how much we love our jeans. And if you're like us, you have your brand, your cut, and your size down to a science. But given this spring has revealed a whole new spectrum of blues, chambrays, and denim reinventions, we wanted to explore the latest jean pool a little more deeply. From patchwork to the denim dress, we've sized up the only kind of blues to give in to this spring—styling tips included.
1. Denim Dresses: Last year we might have said a denim dress was way too Little House On the Prairie. This season, though, we're giving in to the hippie vibe, and dressing up our denim dress with crazy -high platforms and lots of layered chains and jewelry.
Above, from left: Lover Linen Denim Corset Dress, $405, available at Net-A-Porter; Brooklyn Industries Denim Shirtdress, $88, available at Brooklyn Industries; Hawks by Geren Ford Smocked Minidress, $78, available at Urban Outfitters; Carven Denim Shirt Dress, $355, available at Net-A-Porter; Lauren Moffatt U-Neck Denim Dress, $345, available at Lauren Moffatt.
2. Patchwork Denim: A little too Janis Joplin for some ladies, but for us, we're into it. Turn the typical hippie patchwork vibe on its ear, wearing it in a more sophisticated way, with a sequin blazer or satin trousers.
3. Chambray Shirts: A little oversized and kind of worn-in, there's nothing quite as sexy as spring's chambray shirt. Knot it at the waist with a pencil skirt or try it as a short and sexy beach coverup.
Above, from left: Hue It Girl Tap-Sleeve Denim Shirt, $32, available at YesStyle; Topshop Bleach Denim Oversized Shirt, $60, available at Topshop; Future Favorites Boyfriend Denim Shirt, $14.99, available at Pacsun; Vince Denim Shirt, $195, available at Net-A-Porter; Madewell Chambray Work Shirt, $68, available at Madewell stores or call 866-544-1937.
4. Denim Trousers: Last year when Lover crafted the most perfect pleated denim trouser on the planet, we knew other designers would be hopping onboard. We love these with a super-skinny t-shirt, or an oversized tuxedo shirt with amazing heels.
Above, from left: Inspiration shot from Lookbook.nu; Madewell City Slouch Denim Trouser, available at Madewell stores or call 866-544-1937; Gap Pleated Railroad Jeans, $34.99, available at Gap; Martin + Osa Slouchy Pegged Fit Jeans, $99.50, available at Martin + Osa; Burberry Carrot Leg Cropped Jeans, $225, available at Burberry.
5. Denim Blazers: Such a '70s throwback, but given its ease and versatility we're going for it. We recommend pairing this little wonder with a plain white tank, extra-baggy trousers, or a long romantic dress.
Above, from left: Lauren Moffatt Cotton Denim Blazer, $295, available at Lauren Moffatt; Madewell Switchyard Denim Blazer, $118, available at Madewell stores or call 866-544-1937; Vivienne Westwood Red Label Asymmetrical Denim Blazer, $575, available at Net-A-Porter; Gap Faded Denim Blazer, $88, available at Gap.
6. White Denim: Fresh, crisp, and ready for anything, white denim is the epitome of the summer months, especially in skinny capri cut. Wear yours old-school style, with metallic docksiders or a long beachy tunic top.
Above, from left: Topshop Spike Stud Hotpants, available soon at Topshop stores; Vena Cava Chief Splattered Denim Dress, $437, available at Bloomingdale's; J.Crew Vintage Matchstick Jeans, $98, available at J.Crew; American Eagle Outfitters White Destroy Skinny Jeans, $49.50, available at American Eagle Outfitters.
7. Denim Shorts: Few things look as good with a tan as a pair of tailored denim shorts. Wear these right through to fall with tights, but try them when the weather gets warmer with some flat espadrilles or an ankle bootie (no heels please!).
Above, from left: (212) Denim Shorts, $115, available soon at Refinery29 Shops; inspiration shot on Jacinda Y, via Lookbook.nu; See by Chloé Rolled Boyfriend Shorts, $295, available at La Garçonne; Topshop High Waisted Denim Hot Pants, $60, available at Topshop; Forever21 Pocketed Denim Shorts, $19.90, available at Forever21.