If there's one (or 100!) things we've learned from the sea of fashion shows we check out every season, it's that inspiration doesn't always come exclusively from the runway. Like you, we get lots of nifty ideas from watching all the clever ways Fashion Week attendees get dressed—and get noticed. And so, we decided to assemble our own little cheat-sheet of easy tips you can try on your own for giving your favorite outfits a fresh twist.
1. Be bold: Switch out that basic black coat with a brighter shade or a patterned cropped jacket instead.
2. Sheer energy: Break out your lace blouse or dress as a clever new layering piece.
3. Lip service: Turn up the volume on your lips with ladylike shades of persimmon and coral.
4. Grab bag: Ditch your gigantic shoulder bag for a more pulled-together clutch.
5. Gam'tastic: Really let your legs do the talking with notice-me tights.
6. All in one: Shake up your winter layering by playing around with unexpected textures and prints.
7. Dual personality: Make a look more personal by mixing up preppy with glamorous.
Above, from left, photos by: Ashley Jahncke; courtesy of Andraa Neen.
8. Top it off: Finish off an outfit with a hat that really suits you (not one that's necessarily in style).
9. In the trenches: Give your favorite trench a new look for every day of the week.