Boko Haram Releases Video Of Kidnapped Nigerian Schoolgirls

Photo: Via Youtube.
A new video has emerged purportedly showing around 50 of the schoolgirls kidnapped from the Nigerian town of Chibok more than two years ago.

The video was released by Boko Haram, the Nigerian Islamist group that has claimed responsibility for abducting 276 girls from a school in 2014. It features a masked militant holding a gun and standing in front of the group of young women, the BBC reports.

In the video, a man conducts a staged interview with one of the students, who, according to the BBC, says "many of the girls have been badly injured in military air strikes." In addition, she asks that the government release prisoners in exchange for the girls — which includes her — to be set free.
More than 200 of the kidnapped girls remain missing today. Many are thought to have been sexually abused, and around 40 are said to have been forced into "marrying" their captors, according to the BBC.

One of the girls sends a message to parents in the video, asking them to "please be patient," according to The Guardian.

"There is no kind of suffering we haven’t seen. Our sisters are injured; some of them have wounds on their heads and bodies. Tell the government to give them [Boko Haram] their people, so we can come home to you," she says.

A father of one of the girls told the BBC he saw his daughter in the video. "I have watched the video several times. I saw her sitting down," said Samuel Yaga, father of schoolgirl Serah Samuel.

The end of the video shows dead bodies lying on the ground, said to be those killed by air strikes.

The Nigerian government said
it is trying its best to work towards the girls' release — the girls are currently thought to be in northern Nigeria. The government said it is in talks with the militants behind the video, but that it needs to be sure the officials are speaking to the right people, the BBC adds.

"We are being extremely careful because the situation has been compounded by the split in the leadership of Boko Haram," said Nigerian Information Minister Alhaji Mohammed. "We are also being guided by the need to ensure the safety of the girls."
Advertisement
Related Video:
Advertisement

More from Global News

The bill lowers the age at which children can receive a prison sentence from 14 to 12, for involvement in “acts of terror,” which are described as “murder...
In case you had gone too long without remembering that women are unreasonably punished for not being amenable and interested in men at all times, here's an...
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau may be everyone's favorite woke bae, but there's a tiny royal who was not exactly impressed by him last weekend. ...
I want to continue to support female activists, and hope that by starting with a small, singular task like refusing straws, I can encourage each one of you...
A ruling last month by Ayatollah Ali Khamenei stated that Iranian women could not ride bicycles because it "attracts the attention of men and exposes the ...
“It’s a special school for me because I was a student there. But I don’t think I can see a way back there now,” she said
For many refugees, the struggle to survive doesn't end after fleeing war-torn Syria. With the help of 17-year-old Khaldeya, we're taking you straight to ...
(Paid Content) 2016 is shaping up to be the hottest year on record. How many thousands of studies will have to be published before everyone is on board ...
Here's your daily cry: A little boy from New York is inviting a Syrian child his age to come and live with him in safety. “We will give him a family, and ...
Natasha Maimba, 14, and Minahil Sarfraz, 15, do a lot of the same things any teen girls do. Maimba plays the guitar. Sarfraz likes to mug for the camera...
Emma Watson addressed the U.N. General Assembly again Tuesday, delivering a powerful speech calling for the reform of campus sexual assault policies. ...
Michelle Obama appeared at one of Broadway's landmark theaters Monday, taking the stage along with some of the industry's biggest stars. No, FLOTUS isn...
International human rights lawyer Amal Clooney and her client Nadia Murad are teaming up to sue ISIS. Murad, a Yazidi woman who says she prayed for death ...
Kim Kardashian blasted deniers of the Armenian genocide in a full-page ad in Saturday's New York Times. Kardashian has been a passionate advocate for ...