The Rock took to his Instagram on Tuesday to share Brutus' heartbreaking story and give a warning to other dog owners. "As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs," he wrote. "This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return." He went on to encourage others to be aware of mushrooms in yards, parks, and other outdoor areas where dogs play.
Earlier this month, over Labor Day weekend, The Rock posted an Instagram about the eventful day that he brought the two puppies home. While exploring his backyard, the dogs jumped into his pool, and The Rock went in after them, fully clothed, to save them. Today, The Rock acknowledged the near-drowning incident by ending his post with the hashtags #RIPBrutus and #WishICouldveSavedYouOneMoreTime. Excuse us while our eyes well up with tears at our desk.
Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus' suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil' paw as he was finally at peace. As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return. I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil' family members. Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City. We'll always love you Brutus.. and you'll always be my lil' main man and rough housing Brute. #RIPBrutus #WishICouldveSavedYouOneMoreTime