Read This Before Running In The Heat

We get it: You were born to run, and you're not going to let temperatures in the 80s, 90s, and beyond stop you. Of course, once you're out there and sweating like you just got caught in a lie, you might feel like the air itself is fighting your every step. Don't feel bad — it's not just you. Running outside in the heat has been proven to be harder and require more energy than your average jog.

Related: What's The Best Temperature For A Run?

In fact, only about 30% of the energy you're generating while running is actually going toward moving your muscles. That remaining 70% is going toward cooling you off. This means more blood flows to your skin than to your muscles when you run in the heat, so, as exercise physiologist and nutrition scientist Stacy Sims, PhD, explains, "You’ll find your heart rate is higher and the intensity feels harder.” While this accounts for the effect that the heat itself has on your run, there are a few other factors that can intensify your summer workout.

Related: Your Brain On: Warm Weather

As all East Coasters know, with heat comes humidity, and with humidity comes, if it's possible, even more sweat. The additional moisture in the air makes it more difficult for your sweat to evaporate, preventing you from cooling off as quickly as you could in dry heat. UV rays can also play a role. Getting a sunburn will divert even more blood flow away from your muscles and toward your skin, which, according to Dr. Sims, is not optimal to exercise: “Recent research has shown that the skin temperature has a bigger effect on performance than actual core temperature. If you can keep your skin cool, you will keep more blood in central circulation, allowing for better exercise performance even if your core temperature is elevated more than exercise-normal.”

Luckily, with time, practice, and, of course, hydration, you'll start to feel the benefits of your heat wave run in no time.

Click through to Shape for more tips on beating the heat while running. (Shape)

Related: 11 Heat-Related Workout Inflictions To Watch Out For

More from Fitness

Sometimes getting motivated to exercise can be harder than the workout itself. That’s why it helps to think of your gym time as a middle school dance: ...
The benefits of yoga are constantly touted by fitness gurus and scientific researchers alike: practicing yoga has been linked to reducing stress, boosting ...
Working out's a LOT more fun when you can do it on your own terms, in your own crib, with your own tunes, and your own friends
When it comes to rock climbing, an all-or-nothing approach is key
Ashley Graham is breaking barriers. She's the first plus-sized model to cover the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue and she's served as our workout ...
In a move so fitting that we can’t believe we haven’t seen it already, ASOS teamed up with running shoe company Saucony to create glitter running ...
If you ask us, no workout is complete without a killer playlist — and running is no exception. Whether you prefer the trails or the treadmill, the right ...
(Paid Content) Normally, we celebrate getting into a fitness groove. It means that we've committed — on a pretty regular basis — to laying out workout ...
We may not all be able to keep up a daily diet of personal training, SoulCycle, and hot yoga. But there's a lot more to learn from celebrities' workout ...
Update: This story was previously published on Nov 21, 2015. Are you sitting down? Okay, take a minute to assess: Are you slouching in your seat? Are your...
Ah, the plank. Some version of it is used in virtually every type of fitness program, from CrossFit to calisthenics to yoga to pilates, and for good reason...
A new study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association has found that fitness trackers aren't exactly the key to a super-healthy ...
Maybe you're someone who appreciates the sturdiness of genuine leather. Perhaps you can't stand the idea of going to an hour-long vinyasa class without ...
Hailey Langland is a 16-year-old snowboarding star who believes that if you're not having fun doing something, it's not worth doing. "What sets me ...