When Diet Pills Killed This 21-Year-Old, Her Mother Wrote This Letter

Photo: Courtesy of West Mercia Police.
Eloise Aimee Parry was just 21 when she died on April 12. She drove to the hospital, feeling unwell after taking diet pills she'd purchased online. But, by the time she got there, it was already too late. Below is Eloise's mother's moving tribute to her daughter — and her warning to anyone else looking for diet pills on the Internet.

Fiona writes: 

I didn't know it at the time, but Ella had bought slimming tablets on the internet. A substance called DNP (2,4-dinitrophenol) that is unsuitable for human consumption because of its toxicity. 

She had taken even more of these 'slimming tablets' than recommended on the pack and had no idea just how dangerous they really were. How many of us have ever thought, 'If one tablet works, surely it won't hurt to take one or two more?' When she started to feel unwell, she drove herself to hospital and walked into A&E. She explained what she had taken and there was no great panic as she was still completely lucid and with it. At this point she still seemed to be okay. 

That all changed when the toxicity report came back and it was clear how dire her situation was. The drug was in her system, there was no antidote, two tablets was a lethal dose — and she had taken eight. As Eloise deteriorated, the staff in A&E did all they could to stabilise her. As the drug kicked in and started to make her metabolism soar, they attempted to cool her down, but they were fighting an uphill battle. 

She was literally burning up from within. When she stopped breathing, they put her on a ventilator and carried on fighting to save her. When her heart stopped, they couldn't revive her. She had crashed. She had taken so much DNP that the consequences were inevitable. They never stood a chance of saving her. She burned and crashed.


The drug, called DNP or simply dinitrophenol, is indeed toxic and banned in both in the U.S. and Wales, where Eloise was a student at Glyndŵr University. Yes, it does cause weight loss, but it does so alongside a litany of horrible side effects — including hyperthermia and a speedy heart rate, which can eventually be fatal. However, according to recent statistics, it's making an unfortunate comeback. So, as always, be vigilant about any crazy weight-loss stuff you can buy online — and remember that you really don't need it anyways.

(Cosmopolitan
Advertisement