Aside from glossy fashion mags and inspiring blogs, one of our favorite ways to get pumped for fall is by attending Macy's Glamorama. The annual soiree takes place this Friday, August 9 at The Harris Theater For Music and Dance at Millennium Park, followed by an after-party on The Rooftop Terrace. Along with a high-energy fashion show, this year's musical performer is Sheryl Crow — and you thought all the good music this summer ended with Lollapalooza.
But even if you can't attend the festivities this year, you can still dress as though you were in the front row center taking mental notes. Macy's style expert, Paul Anthony, has rounded up his top five fall 2013 trends, along with a few must-have pieces to add to your closet.
1. Red Arrival: "Fall wardrobes will see a spectrum of the hue's most splendid shades, from bright to Bordeaux. The look is bold and authoritative, yet feminine, with an emphasis on high-tech materials, luminous embellishments, fur details, shine, and luxurious fabrications."
2. Urban Utility: "Fashion marches to a military beat this fall. Think rescaled, re-colored, and DIY camouflage. The cargo jacket, vest, and pants join the ranks in different styles, from tailored to oversized, along with retro bomber jackets and traditional peacoats."
3. The Artist: "Expect lots of shine in jacquard materials, lace as a key fabrication, and new knits with textural effects. The grandpa cardigan and crew sweater look especially fresh when worn with silk printed matchstick pants and pencil skirts."
4. The Dandy: "Women this fall will embrace their femininity by stealing masculinity. Plaids and tweeds are another focus of her gender-blended looks."
5. Black & White: "You'll see everything from conversational, landscape, surrealist patterns, photo prints, and stylized black and white florals. Bold black and white banding or color blocking and sheer details come into play as well."
Fall 2013 Must-have List
1. Oversized cardigan
2. Military jacket
3. Patterned sweater
4. Sweater dress
5. Matchstick pant
6. Skinny jean