Instead, it's actually your cat's litter box that's causing the harm, and the reason is a microscopic organism called Toxoplasma gondii. The contaminant reproduces itself in cats, and they shed the germs when they ahem, do their business. The worst part? Toxoplasma gondii has been linked to birth defects, nervous system damage, and rheumatoid arthritis in humans, which can happen when we inhale or ingest our cat's erm, stuff.
But, there is good news with all this bathroom talk: Indoor-only cats are far less likely to pick up the toxin in the first place. So, as long as you keep your kitty safe and sound in your apartment, the only harm they'll cause you is the occasion hair ball or scratched furniture. (Scientific American)
Photographed by Eva K. Salvi